10 top tips to keep your online accounts safe
World Password Day is a day to promote better password habits. Passwords are critical gatekeepers to our digital identities, allowing us to access online shopping, dating, banking, social media, private work and life communications.
Ten basic security tips:
- Give each account you have its own unique password — do not reuse any.
- Make every password complex and strong.
- Use a password manager. It remembers all your complex and strong passwords so you don’t have to.
- If you hear there’s been a breach, be extra safe and take action right away to change your passwords.
- Use 2-factor authentication. That way, even if your password is compromised, your account won’t necessarily be.
- Use a VPN (virtual private network), especially on public Wi-Fi.
- Never text or email anyone your password.
- When selecting security questions whilst creating an account, choose hard to guess options to which only you know the answer.
- Tell your family and friends to protect themselves too.
- If you don’t have one yet, get an antivirus program. If a threat somehow gets past your strong defences and into your system, a good antivirus will detect and remove it.
For more tips on how to increase your computer security, read our blog. Contact SMY IT Services to see how we can help you.